Macadamia Nut Oil
Macadamia nut oil is the non-volatile oil collected from the nuts of the macadamia (Macadamia integrifolia), a native Australian plant.
Macadamia nuts contain over 75% of their weight as oil, the remainder is: 9.0% protein, 9.3% carbohydrates, 1.5% moisture, 1.6% mineral matter and 2.0% fiber. Macadamia kernels contain vitamin A1, B1, B2, niacin and essential elements such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium. The oil is a triglyceride and contains primarily monounsaturated fats up to 80–84%. Macadamia oil contains the highest percentage of monounsaturates when compared to both olive and canola oils.
Macadamia integrifolia is an Australian tree with holly-like leaves that grows well in a moist organic soil and can withstand temperatures as low as −4.4 °C (24 °F). Seedlings bear in 5–7 years. The fruit is borne in a case enclosing an extremely hard spherical nut. The kernel is whitish, sweet and eaten raw or roasted. The flowers are white to cream and the leaves are in whorls of three. Propagation is by seed, grafting or air layering. It is grown commercially.
Benefits of Macadamia Nut Oil
- Other than jojoba oil (which is actually considered a waxy ester as opposed to an oil) it's the closest match to the naturally occurring sebum of the skin.
- It is hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic oil.
- It contains squalene and oleic acid that assists with cell regeneration, making this oil particularly useful for dry or chapped skin as it softens and moisturises.
- It contains omega 6 linoleic acid which is useful for balancing sebum production in oily skin and creates a natural protective barrier.
- The shell in which it is housed and added to the oil is rich in naturally occurring vitamin E.
- Oils extracted from macadamia contain omega 7 or palmitoleic acid, which is beneficial for wound healing, wounds, scratches and burns.
- It contains phytosterols that assist with itchiness and redness.
- It's highly emollient oil, yet light and penetrating that's excellent for dry and mature skins that have a reduced production of natural sebum.
- The oil extracted from macadamia has excellent spreadability, lubrication and penetration properties that imparts a smooth non greasy after effect.
- This oil also has a slight sunscreen effect.